Village of Lake Bluff, IL
Chief of Police
GovHR USA is honored to announce that Lake Bluff, Illinois (population 5,700) seeks an experienced police leader to serve as the community’s next Chief of Police. The incumbent is retiring after 30 years of police service and five as Chief of Police.
Lake Bluff is located on the prestigious North Shore of Chicago. The Village’s friendly and easy going atmosphere is showcased by its lively, forward-thinking residents who enjoy abundant parks and trails, a vibrant downtown business district, an excellent school system, and easy access to Lake Michigan via the beautiful Sunrise Beach. Neighborhoods showcase unique homes in beautiful settings lauded nationally by Coastal Living and Chicago Magazine (2010 median home value: $671,900).
The Village is served by a sensible and broad-minded government, and its Police Department strives for every member to consistently seek and find ways to affirmatively promote, preserve, and deliver a feeling of security, safety, and quality services to all members of the community. It consists of 15 sworn officers, 3 non-sworn staff, and seasonal crossing guards. Police officers and sergeants are organized into two bargaining units, both represented by the Illinois Fraternal Order of Police.
The Chief of Police is appointed by the Village President (upon the recommendation of the Village Administrator) with the approval of the Board of Trustees, and reports to the Village Administrator. The next Chief will be successful by supporting the Village’s mission statement: “The Village of Lake Bluff provides vision, stewardship, and valued services, and fosters a vibrant community culture to enhance our quality of life."
Ideal candidates are those who:
- Lead with strong command presence.
- Act with the utmost integrity.
- Possess well-developed interpersonal and refined communication skills.
- Foster an atmosphere of mutual respect and partnership among the Department and other department heads and staff members.
- Manage proactively, anticipate issues and trends, and participate in community dialogue.
- Make themselves approachable and accessible to residents and business leaders.
- Act as coaches and mentors to all staff and support professional development as well as innovative police practices and technologies.
- Think beyond the walls of the Police Department, understanding the needs of the Village and the region’s public safety community as a whole.
- Demonstrate sound financial acumen and a clear understanding of resources.
A bachelor's degree in criminal justice or a related field is required. Completion of a master’s degree and leadership training such as the F.B.I. National Academy, Northwestern University School of Police Staff and Command, or similar programs is highly desirable.
The annual salary range for this position is:
The Village of Lake Bluff also offers an attractive benefits package.
Interested professionals may submit a confidential resume, cover letter and contact information for 5 professional references by March 1, 2019 to consultants Lee McCann and Kathleen Rush at: www.govHRjobs.com Electronic submissions are required.
847-380-3240 Click HERE to Apply!
THE VILLAGE OF LAKE BLUFF IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER