Unalaska, AK (pop. 4,768) Unique, beautiful and dynamic Unalaska is seeking a visionary and collaborative leader to become its Police Chief. Situated in the Aleutian Chain 800 miles southwest of Anchorage, Unalaska is the 12th largest city in Alaska, the largest the Aleutians, and home to the International Port of Dutch Harbor. The Port consistently ranks first or second in the nation for the size and value of its seafood catch. Unalaska is home to 4,768 creative, friendly, industrious people who enjoy excellent schools, low crime and no unemployment. The island’s population doubles during fishing and seafood processing seasons.
The City of Unalaska is a well-financed and professionally run organization, staffed by hardworking, talented and successful people. It is governed under the Council-Manager form, with an elected Mayor and City Council and an appointed professional City Manager. Under general administrative direction, the Police Chief will be the principle executive officer of the Unalaska Department of Public Safety (DPS). The Unalaska City Council has recently acted to separate the Unalaska Fire Department from DPS. The former Director of Public Safety has retired. The Police Chief will be responsible for planning, organizing, and management of DPS, which includes Police, Communications, Corrections, and Animal Control, as well as an office of the Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The Police Chief will also function as the City’s Emergency Management Coordinator. The Police Chief will report to the City Manager.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and experience:
- Ten (10)years professional law enforcement experience, including at least five (5) years at a command level in a department of similar size, three of which should be at the level of lieutenant or higher and must have included responsibility for management of patrol and investigation functions. Alaska law enforcement experience preferred.
- Three (3) years of experience in operation of small jails or contract jails, emergency management, and management of the communications function.
- An Alaska Police Standards Council advanced level certification or ability to obtain at time of hire.
- Bachelor’s Degree in criminal justice, public administration, law enforcement, police science or related field, and graduation from the FBI National Academy or Southern Police Institute preferred.
- Experience as a Police Chief or Director of Public Safety preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills.
- Strong oral and written communication, problem-solving and interpersonal skills.
$89,068 to $142,508; starting salary DOQ/E
Attractive benefits package including health insurance (medical, dental, vision, audio) at no cost to employees and dependents, and participation in the Alaska Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS). Alaska does not have a state income tax.
Apply online by January 28, 2019 with resume, cover letter and contact information for five (5) work-related references to Stephen Veitch, Vice President, GovHRUSA at: www.govhrusa.com/career-center/
Upon submission applicants will be asked to complete a City of Unalaska Employment Application.
This position is subject to a background check and successful completion of pre-employment drug screening. Click HERE to Apply!