Columbia County has a population of approximately 50,000 and is bordered on the east by the Columbia River, on the south by Multnomah County and Washington County, and on the west by Clatsop County. The southern County line is approximately 30 minutes from Portland, the largest metropolitan area in Oregon. The western County line is approximately 30 minutes from the Pacific coast with the County seat located in St. Helens.
The Columbia County Sheriff’s Office has 58 employees, divided among the Enforcement, Corrections and Civil Divisions. The Columbia County Sheriff is seeking outstanding candidates to consider to fill the Second in Command position in his Office.
This position This position is a full-time management position, Civil Service exempt, FLSA exempt and not represented by a bargaining unit. The position reports directly to the elected County Sheriff.
Columbia County Sheriff's Office
$7,180 - $9,126 per month with additional incentive pay available for certain DPSST certifications. Appointment in range at hire will be negotiable. Excellent benefits, including paid PERS contribution and family health insurance plus generous leave benefits. See attached list.
February 28, 2019
Applications and other materials will only be accepted via online submission.
- Assist the Sheriff in ensuring the professional performance and administration of the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office.
- In coordination with the Sheriff, responsible for planning, organizing and directing the activities of the Sheriff’s Office.
- Conduct law enforcement and crime prevention and investigation activities relating to criminal law enforcement in the County.
- Equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- At least 5 years’ progressively responsible experience in law enforcement, with at least two years’ supervisory experience.
- Possession of either an Intermediate Police Officer or Corrections Officer Certificate or higher from the Department of Public Safety Standards and Training (DPSST) with preference given for Police Certification.
- Possession of or ability to obtain Dual Certification and the DPSST management certificate no later than two years after hire.
- Current/active equivalent certifications from other states will also be considered.
Applicants MUST submit a Columbia County application form and a resume. The application form must be filled out completely for consideration. Incomplete applications or applications not formatted as required will not be accepted. An in-depth background check, including criminal history, will be conducted of final candidates. Columbia County applications are mandatory. Chief Deputy Job Opening Complete the application online and email with a resume (saved in PDF format) to: HRJobs@co.columbia.or.us
An Equal Opportunity Employer
(a copy of the County's EEOP is available by calling the number above)
Benefits Offered by Columbia County for this Position:
- Salary: Listed in the announcement
- Full time work week: 40.0 hours
- Medical/dental insurance*: Currently 100% paid for HMO through the family level by the County
- Low copays and deductibles
- Life insurance: $40,000
- PERS/OSPRP: 6% of gross monthly salary paid by County into employee account
- Plus additional portion paid for eventual retirement pension
- Holidays: 10.5 holidays per year plus 2 additional floating holidays
- Sick leave: One day accrued each month; maximum accrual of 2080 hours
- Half of accrued sick leave paid at retirement
- Vacation leave:
- Years 1-5 12 days accrued each year
- Years 6-10 15 days accrued each year
- Years 11-15 19 days accrued each year
- Years 16-20 21 days accrued each year
- 20+ Years 24 days accrued each year
- Maximum accrual of 400 hours
- Other leaves Paid bereavement leave, personal leave, jury/witness duty leave
- VEBA County contributes each year to a medical savings account to reimburse employee for deductibles, copays, non-covered medical expenses
- Other Flexible spending accounts, AFLAC supplemental insurance, discounted health club membership, etc.
Benefits may vary from those listed above subject to employment status and may change over time.
*As of the date of this posting. Premium sharing may be instituted at any upcoming plan year.