Texas A&M University-Kingsville (TAMUK), is in search of a highly motivated individual to serve as its next Chief of Police. As the first university in South Texas, TAMUK is both a Hispanic Serving and Minority Serving University. The Chief of Police will strategically support the university in advancing university priorities. The Chief of Police will plan, direct, coordinate, and implement departmental goals, policies, procedures, and activities associated with the protection, safety, and welfare of students, staff, visitors, and University property. The ideal candidate should be a strategic thinker, possess excellent written and oral communication skills, have a proven ability to multi-task, and the ability to work in a diverse environment.
A partial list of essential duties and responsibilities includes:
- Demonstrates the highest level of professional judgment and ethical behavior.
- Works closely and effectively with senior university leadership; federal, state, local law enforcement, and other public safety agencies.
- Leads and directs the University Police Department (UPD) in establishing and maintaining high-quality performance, a commitment to ethics and integrity, and efficient and effective use of resources that promote activities and programs that reflect recognized best practices in law enforcement and public safety and are consistent with the direction and oversight provided by the Texas A&M University- Kingsville President.
- Leads the development and implementation of the departmental vision, values, strategic plans including goals and objectives, appropriate procedures, and strategic alliances.
- Provides strong leadership by directing and actively participating in the University Police Department (UPD) operational activities.
- Ensures agency compliance with local, state, and federal reporting requirements. Ensures personal, agency, and personnel compliance with all local, state, and federal statutes, rules, and regulations, as well as University and System Standard Administrative Procedures. Completes and files required university, state, and federal mandated reports.
- Education - Master's degree in Criminal Justice, Psychology, or Law Enforcement or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience - Seven years of related experience; 10 years of progressively varied and responsible experience as a certified full-time police officer with a recognized law enforcement agency(ies), including at least five years of service in an administrative, supervisory, or management position at the rank of Police Lieutenant or above (or the equivalent) is preferred
- Licensing/Professional Certification - Texas Driver's License, a Texas Peace Officer License, and Advanced or Master (preferred) Certification from the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE). If not possessed, the required license(s) and certification must be obtained no later than six months following the date of the appointment.
Applicants are encouraged to submit a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, or resume and contact information for a minimum of three references to:
Nominations for the position may be sent to:
To apply, visit:
We encourage applications from under-represented groups and minorities. Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity. All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution's verification of credentials and/ or other information required by the institution's procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution's verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution's procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.
Texas A&M University-Kingsville is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.